Read all about the 1950s pseudo-science
that plagues most US communities even today.
And if your community still insists on spiking your
tap water with that toxin, ESD can help.
Americans do not drink enough water
NEW YORK, Jun 02 (Reuters Health) – While Americans may be awash in news about the benefits of consuming adequate amounts of water, most fall short of recommendations to drink eight 8-ounces servings a day, results of a new survey reveal.
According to the survey, nearly three quarters of Americans are aware of the recommendation but only 34% actually drink this amount of water each day. Most people consume only about 6 servings of water a day and nearly 10% said they do not drink water at all.
What’s more, Americans drink an average of nearly 6 servings a day of caffeinated beverages such as coffee and soda. These drinks can cause the body to lose water, making proper hydration even more difficult to attain.
Water makes up more than 70% of the body’s tissues and plays a role in nearly every body function from regulating temperature and cushioning joints to bringing oxygen to the cells and removing waste from the body.
“Without proper hydration, the body is exposed to a variety of health risks,” said Dr. Barbara Levine, director of human nutrition at The Rockefeller University in New York, which commissioned the survey.
Severe dehydration can affect blood pressure, circulation, digestion and kidney function. But on a daily basis, not getting enough water can cause fatigue, dry skin, headaches and constipation.
Among those surveyed, 37% mistakenly believe that people need less water in cold weather and 49% erroneously believe the body loses less water while sleeping than while awake.
Nearly one-third did not know that giving a child water instead of sugar-containing drinks such as juice or soda can help prevent childhood obesity, the survey revealed.
The survey of more than 2,800 people living in 14 US cities was conducted by an independent research group for the International Bottled Water Association.
DID YOU KNOW???
What Contaminants Can Be Found In Drinking Water?
- THMs and Chlorine-Many municipal water systems use chlorine to eliminate bacteria, but recent studies show that chlorine can react with organic material in water to form chemicals called Trihalomethanes (THMs). One of these THMs is chloroform, a suspected cancer-causing agent.
- Lead-The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) says that lead in drinking water can cause serious health problems. At low levels, reduced birth weight and premature birth, delayed mental and physical development, and impaired mental abilities in children in general, may result. At high levels of exposure, anemia, kidney damage, and mental retardation can occur.
- Radon-Radon is a naturally occurring radioactive gas that has no taste, odor, or color. Waterborne radon released into the air from showers, washing machines, etc. Can be inhaled and increase the risk of lung cancer. There also is accumulating evidence of a relationship between the ingestion of radon in drinking water and increased risk of stomach cancer.
- Cysts-Protozoan parasites, such as Cryptosporidium oocysts and Giardia lamblia cysts in drinking water, can cause vomiting, diarrhea, an other flulike symptoms that are longer-lasting and more debilitating than most cases of flu.
- Pesticides and Herbicides-Many agricultural chemicals like atrazine and alachlor have found their way into groundwater sources. Many pesticides are toxic and are associated with a variety of health problems.
- Industrial Chemicals-Though necessary in manufacturing, many industrial chemicals, if ingested, may cause increased risk of cancer and others illnesses. Some of the industrial chemicals that now threaten the purity and safeness of our drinking water include polychlorinated biphenyls (PCBs), polynuclear aromatics (PNAs), and volatile organic chemicals (VOCs), such as TCE, benzene, and carbon tetrachloride.
- Other Particulate Contaminants- Small fibers of asbestos, dirt, and other particles often can be found in drinking water.
Note: No information exists to show that the examples described above pertain to your specific water system or supply.
How Serious Is It?
“Drinking tap water that is chlorinated is hazardous if not deadly to your health.”
HEALTHY WATER FOR LONGER LIFE – DR. MARTIN FOX
“Known carcinogens are found in drinking water as a direct consequence of the practice of
MUNICIPAL ENVIROMENTAL RESEARCH LAB – FRANCIS T. MAYO, DIRECTOR
“Cancer risk among people drinking chlorinated water is 93% higher than among those whose
water does not contain chlorine.”
US COUNCIL OF ENVIROMENTAL QUALITY
“Chlorine is the greatest crippler and killer of modern times. While it prevented epidemics of one
disease, it was creating another.” “…After the start of chlorinating our drinking
water in 1904, the present epidemic of heart trouble, cancer and senility began.”
SAGINAW HOSPITAL – DR J.M. PRICE
The National Academy of Sciences estimate that 200-1000 people die in the United States each year from cancers caused by ingesting the contaminants in water.”
SCIENCIES NEWS, VOLUME 130 – JANET RALOFF
“The cause of atherosclerosis and resulting heart attacks and strokes is none other than the
ubiquitous chlorine in our drinking water.”
CORONARIES/CHOLESTEROL/CHLORINE – DR. JM PRICE
Chlorine gas was used despicably during WWI. When the war was over, the use of chlorine was diverted to poisoning the germs in our drinking water. All water supplies throughout the country were chlorinated. The combination of chlorine and animal fats results in atherosclerosis, heart attacks and death.”
WATER CAN UNDERMINE YOUR HEALTH – DR. N.W. WALKER, D.S.
“48-49 states are failing to adequately enforce existing drinking water regulations.”
JAMES ELDER – U.S. ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION AGENCY
“Florida had 521 excessive contaminants violations and 5,250 monitoring and reporting violations.”
NATURAL RESOURCES DEFENSE COUNCIL – USA TODAY SEPTEMBER 27, 1993
“Scientists discovered that chlorine reacted with organic material in water to produce hundreds of chemical by-products, several of which have proved in animal studies to be carcinogenic.”
U.S. NEWS AND WORLD REPORT – JULY 29, 1991
“Drinking chlorinated water may as much as double the risk of bladder cancer.”
NATIONAL CANCER INSTITUTE – KENNETH CANTOR
All information on this site is for general education and information purposes only and has not been evaluated by the FDA or FTC. The information contained herein is not intended to treat, cure, or diagnose any disease. If you suspect you have a health condition of any kind, contact a health care professional. Individual results may vary.